Garlic and Chilli Prawns, the name of this popular seafood dish itself evokes a variety of emotions and reactions in people from all walks of life. For some it could be a blissful memory of a delicious home cooked meal that is a family culinary treasure. For others it could be a scrumptious dish that they tried at a restaurant or a stall at the hawker center that was quite simply, an unforgettable gastronomic experience. Whatever your nostalgic sentiments about this multifaceted dish may be, one thing is certain, part of the appeal of Garlic and Chilli Prawns as a dish is the fact that it is very easy to cook and also has a level of sophisticated flavour that belies its seeming simplicity. Furthermore this recipe is one of many variations of this seafood dish that can be found in different parts of the world. Sounds like a dish that you would want to try to cook does it not? Have I whet your appetite yet? That’s wonderful! Well come on then, let’s get started with the cooking process!
- 8 pieces of Frozen Vannamei Prawns.
- 3 Garlic Cloves.
- 1 Red Chilli.
- Some Parsley or any Vegetable Garnish of your choice.
- 50ml of Olive Oil
- Half a Teaspoon of Paprika spice powder (you can add more in accordance to your personal taste if you like).
- 1 Lemon
- After defrosting your Vannamei prawns, peel them and remove the head ( You can remove the tail if you prefer to do so) and make sure to remove the dark-coloured veins of the prawns with a knife.
- Peel your garlic cloves and chop your chillies into small pieces (you can consider removing the chilli seeds if you want to reduce any spiciness). Follow this up with chopping your parsley into small pieces as well.
- Pour a little olive oil into a frying pan on a stove that is at a medium-high heat level. Then add your garlic and chillies and fry for thirty seconds before adding in the Paprika spice powder and stirring the mixture.
- Add the prawns and fry each side until they are cooked ( It should take a few minutes) and add some parsley as you turn your prawns.
- Squeeze about half of the juice out of your lemon into your prawn dish. Remove your pan from your stove and sprinkle any remaining parsley that you may have on your prawns along with a pinch of salt to taste.
- Serve it sizzling hot with whatever accompanying dish you like be it rice, bread or noodles. It goes well with pretty much any dish. Furthermore, you can use any remaining lemon juice to add more zest to the prawns if you need to do so.
And there you have it, a sumptuous prawn dish that you can enjoy with friends and family that’s so delicious, it will be raved about in your neighbourhood for a long time to come!